Homes for sale in Bedminster Township sit upon 26 square miles of charming hamlets with antique homes, expansive equestrian estates, lavish townhouses, and rolling farmland in the heart of Somerset County's legendary hunt country. This quiet area experienced unprecedented growth during the 1980s when The Hills, a master planned community east of Route 287, opened its doors and the population soared from 2,500 to 8,000-plus residents today. Yet much of the Township retains its peaceful feeling; many unpaved lanes are ideal for bicyclists, horseback riders, hikers, and dog walkers.
With a history that reaches back to the Revolutionary War, Bedminster's residents are committed to maintaining the township's rural atmosphere. Gentle hills, open green fields, and horse properties characterize miles of winding country roads. The township was created by Royal Charter in 1749 after being formally incorporated by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1798.
Bedminster is one of the most important Revolutionary War sites in the state. The town served as military headquarters for General Knox during the war; it was used as an artillery range and was actually a forerunner to West Point.
A farming community until 1890 when the railroad linked the area to Newark and New York City, wealthy families from the cities were attracted to Bedminster's natural beauty and built expansive country estates here. Among the prosperous New York businessmen who purchased large parcels for their estates were Grant Schley, Charles Pfizer, Clarence Dillon, and James Cox Brady.
After World War II, AT&T created the township's first business campus, a trend that was followed by many other top enterprises. In the late 1960s, Interstate Highway 78 opened along the township's southern border, and Interstate 287 was constructed along its eastern border, making it easy to reach points throughout New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.
Every year the town joins together at the Fall Fest Community Day, an event which celebrates Bedminster's 250th+ anniversary with Revolutionary War re-enactments, Colonial crafts demonstrations, a concert by the New Jersey Pops, and a fireworks display.
The township's active Recreation Department is run by volunteers and includes a summer program for children, adult basketball and volleyball, Little League, youth basketball, and more. Additionally, the library, fire department, first-aid squad, and many planning boards are also volunteer-run.
The Clarence Dillon Library was constructed with $1.5 million in funds that were raised entirely by area residents. The Friends of the Library is a volunteer group that works to maintain and update the book collection. Book discussion groups, lectures, and a children's library are also offered.
Bedminster contains a main village center in Pluckemin, along with several small business and services along Routes 202 and 206 including; Willie's Taverne, a historic landmark dating back to George Washington's time. Bridgewater Commons shopping center, anchored by Lord & Taylor, Macy's, and Bloomingdale's is about ten minutes away.
Students from pre-kindergarten through grade 8 attend the Bedminster Township School on Somerville Road. As part of the Somerset Hills Regional School District, Bernards High School serves students from Bedminster Township as well as Bernardsville, Far Hills, and Peapack-Gladstone.
Purnell School is a boarding school for high school girls in Pottersville.
Bedminster homes are ideally located near many central New Jersey business campuses and are close to a network of roadways including Interstates 287 and 78, and Routes 202 and 206. New York City-bound commuters can take a NJ Transit train located about five minutes away at the Far Hills station, while Lakeland Bus provides service to the Port Authority in midtown Manhattan.
Jacobus Vanderveer House: Also known as The Vanderveer/Knox House, the property was purchased by Bedminster Township in 1989 and is supported by the Friends of the Jacobus Vanderveer House and the Bedminster Historical Commission. Surrounded by 218 acres, the circa 1760 dwelling is the last remaining site in Somerset County associated with the locally prominent Vanderveer family. It is the only intact structure in the township that can effectively interpret Vanderveer family life and local Revolutionary War activities, and is considered to be the first installation in America that trained officers in engineering and artillery.
American Revolutionary War General Henry Knox and his family lived in the house during the winter of 1778-1779 while the general commanded the Continental Artillery that was encamped nearby in Pluckemin. Vanderveer House exemplifies vernacular Dutch-American architecture, which was later modified and enlarged during the Federal period.
The main block of the house is a representative 18th century Dutch dwelling with mud walls, exposed wooden beams, and fireplaces surrounded by Delft tile from Holland.
By 2012, plans call for historically accurate landscaping, a reconstructed multi-purpose barn, outbuildings, and visitor amenities.
Local Villages: There are three historic villages located within Bedminster Township, each listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In Pluckemin, Colonial-era buildings are a reminder that General George Washington and his troops marched through the area. Quaint Lamington in the center of the township is filled with country farms, homes, and barns. Farms lining Lamington Road are so picturesque that one was chosen for scenes in the 2004 remake of The Stepford Wives movie. The Lamington Country Store near Black River Road is a local landmark often used in television commercials. Situated in the northwest corner of Bedminster, the old-fashioned village of Pottersville also has its own country store as well as historic churches and an Antique Show held each July since 1953.
McDonald's/Kline's Mills, Kline's Mill Road: This so-called "up-and-down" sawmill dates back to 1744 and is listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places. The privately-owned mill is located on the North Branch of the Raritan River where Kline's Mill Road intersected with River Road before a storm took the bridge out in April,1995. An 1850 map shows the Widow Kline's gristmill, sawmill, and store. Architectural points of interest include a fieldstone foundation, one-story board and batten exterior, and 15-pane single sash windows.The Major Roads: Interstates 78 and 287, Routes 202 and 206
Mass Transportation: New Jersey Transit's Gladstone Line offers service to Penn Station in midtown Manhattan from the nearby Far Hills station.
Housing: Bedminster's mix of old and new architecture means there are vast choices for buyers. Revolutionary era homes, antique farmhouses, center hall Colonials, equestrian properties, horse farms, luxury real estate, country estates, grand manors, historic homes, condominiums, townhouses, duplexes and numerous architectural styles from the 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st centuries are all represented, including Federal, Victorian, mid-century modern, Georgian, Colonial, Italianate, Cape Cod and more.
Bedminster Township has a good mix of housing options ranging from multi-family housing units to multi-million dollar estates. Pottersville, Pluckemin, and Lamington are communities within the township listed on the National Register of Historic Places, each containing key examples of Queen Anne, Federal, Italianate, and Victorian architecture. Rare offerings on the market can include golf course-fronting properties or riverfront homes on the banks of the Lamington or Raritan.
The Hills of Bedminster is a master planned development in Pluckemin set amid 300 acres on Schley Mountain along Route 206 and Interstate 287. Residents living in the 4,000 condominiums, townhouses, and single-family homes here take advantage of a shopping center with convenience stores, services, and dining options within walking distance.
Fun fact #1: While The Hills was under construction, nearly 30,000 Colonial artifacts were unearthed from the excavation site. These items include everything from belt buckles and artillery shells to glass bottles and ceramic pieces. The artifacts are among the collections of the Vanderveer/Knox House.
Fun Fact #2: The Pottersville Volunteer Fire Company reports that the village's profitable peach growing industry persuaded the Rockaway Valley Railroad to build a spur to Pottersville in 1888. The beautiful Black River Falls became part of an excursion trip on the Railroad around the turn-of-the-century. The land around Pottersville Glen was made into picnic grounds and an amusement park with a merry-go-round, dance pavilion, and refreshment stand. Some visitors came from Jersey City and usually stayed at the Pottersville Hotel. Failure of the peach crop eventually resulted in the end of the Rockaway Railroad, although one Pottersville resident remembers the park open as late as 1920.
Size: 26 square miles
2000 Census Population: 8,302
Location: Somerset County, north central New Jersey
Distance from New York City: About 43 miles
Distance from Newark: About 30 miles
Distance from Philadelphia: About 65 miles
Parks: The township's 300-acre River Road Park has soccer and baseball fields, preserved open space, trails and the Stahl Nature Area, a nature preserve. The North Branch of the Raritan River is a popular park feature for fishing in the spring and summer. Miller Lane Field near the Bedminster Township School offers several baseball, soccer, field hockey and lacrosse fields. A biking and hiking trail along Routes 202 and 206 has flyover ramps for crossing over I-287, 202 and 206. Pluckemin Schoolhouse Park offers a playground. A basketball court behind the Somerset Art Association building is joined by a pavilion and skate park.
Find a Turpin Real Estate agent in your area.
Our sole focus is helping people buy and sell real estate.