The gracious, old-fashioned architecture of the homes for sale in Tewksbury Township are ideally located near many central New Jersey business campuses and are close to a network of roadways including Interstates 287 and 78, and Routes 202 and 206. New York City-bound commuters can take a NJ Transit train located about five minutes away at the Far Hills station, while Lakeland Bus provides service to the Port Authority in midtown Manhattan.
Homes for sale in Tewksbury Township are reminiscent of classic Currier and Ives scenes. Small villages within the township have streets lined with antique homes, high-steepled churches, general stores, elegant inns, and a host of charming shops. Located in the northeastern part of Hunterdon County, the 31-square-mile township's first meeting was recorded in 1755. It was incorporated as one of the state's first 104 townships in 1798.
Small villages within Tewksbury Township include Oldwick, Mountainville, Cokesbury, and Pottersville, each having an historic district listed on the National Register. Many of the old homes and stores along Oldwick's Main Street date back over two centuries, including Turpin's Oldwick office. Located on the corner of Joliet and Main Streets, it's sited in a circa 1740 Federal Colonial.
Tewksbury Township is full of horseback riding trails, many of which cross public roads. Residents know to proceed with caution at these trail crossings, and to drive slowly across the narrow roads, bridges, and hamlets throughout the area. The Tewksbury Trail Association maintains 100 miles of trails for equestrian use. On weekends, when traffic is light, bicyclists are drawn to local roadways for their scenic beauty.
While it retains its rural character, the township is less than a half hour from two large shopping malls in Bridgewater and Short Hills, supermarkets, restaurants, and movie theaters.
Oldwick was the first historic district in Tewksbury to be listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places. Most of the buildings were constructed in the early-to mid-1800s, the greatest period of growth the village experienced. The tiny hamlet encompasses less than three square miles and is a beloved part of Tewksbury Township.
The first commercial structure in Oldwick was a general store built in 1750 and located on the corner of Old Turnpike and Church Streets, where it still stands today. The Zion Lutheran Church was a magnificent structure built by Palatine Germans in 1767; it remains a prominent village landmark over 200 years later.
Built in 1807, Barnet Hall Academy served as Oldwick's school until around 1950, when the Sawmill School was constructed. During that time, Mr. J. Seward Johnson, Sr. purchased Barnet Hall and donated it to the people of Oldwick for use as a Community Center. Since 1969, the Community Center has housed the Tewksbury Township Public Library on the first and second floors; the second floor is also used for classes, lectures, and various other community activities.
The Tewksbury Inn occupies a circa 1788 building on the corner of Old Turnpike and King Streets, just across from the General Store. Formerly a stagecoach stop and tavern for hungry travelers looking for simple fare, it now offers a much more upscale dining experience. During busy summer evenings, the outdoor patio is illuminated by authentic gas lanterns.
Mountainville is situated at the bottom of Hell Mountain with many homes listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places. Located northwest of Oldwick, the village was originally known as Bull's Head, and its strategic location at the confluence of four streams made it an ideal location for three mills. In the mid-1800s, additions to the village included Bull's Head Tavern, blacksmith shops, distilleries, Mountainville Academy, and several homes. During that period, outdoorsmen had many successful hunting trips hoping to find one of the dangerous wildcats living on Hell Mountain.
In the late 1800s, the village became something of a summer resort, attracting city visitors who would board with local families or stay at the Mountainville Hotel, which was in business until the 1930s. Today, Mountainville has much the same look as it did over 100 years ago, with its period homes, school, and commercial buildings celebrating a simpler time.
Cokesbury is located on the western border of Tewksbury Township. The village stands at the intersection of Water Street, Cokesbury Road, and High Bridge Road. First settled in 1779 by German immigrants, early residents farmed the land. They were so proud of their work that having an impressive barn was more important than the state of their home.
The circa 1851 Methodist Church near the center of the village played an important role in naming the town. In 1814, construction of the first Cokesbury Methodist Church was named in honor of two outstanding Methodist bishops in the United States: Thomas Coke and Francis Asbury. In subsequent years the village's population grew, and businesses included a shop that built carriages and sleighs.
Today, a group of tidy 150-year-old frame homes flank the village's main intersection and stand as a testament to earlier days.
The village of Pottersville stands on both sides of the Lamington/Black River. This part of the river is where Tewksbury Township in Hunterdon County borders Washington and Chester Townships in Morris County and Bedminster Township in Somerset County. Consequently, portions of the village are within four townships in three separate counties.
In its prime, Pottersville was an epicenter of post-Colonial industry, agriculture and commerce boasting two mills, a manufacturing complex with company housing, two general stores, a blacksmith shop, a barber shop, a candy and ice cream shop, a railroad station, a hotel, and The Glen, a park which was one of the area's most popular tourist destinations.
These days, the quiet village still retains its rural beauty, small-town charms, and many landmark buildings that are part of the local historic district.
Public school students in kindergarten through grade four attend the Tewksbury Elementary School, and the Old Turnpike School is for those in pre-kindergarten and grades five through eight. Voorhees High School in Lebanon Township is part of the North Hunterdon-Voorhees Regional High School District. As a regional school, its students reside in Tewksbury, Califon, Glen Gardner, Hampton, High Bridge, and Lebanon.
Exit 24 of Interstate 78 leads into Tewksbury Township. Train stations in Whitehouse Station or Raritan provide connecting service to Midtown Manhattan, Newark and Hoboken, while New Jersey Transit bus lines from Whitehouse Station bring passengers to Midtown Manhattan's Port Authority.
Within the township's historic districts, early Republic, late Victorian, mid-19th century revival Victorians and Colonial-era homes have been restored with vintage details like stained glass, welcoming front porches, multi-paned windows, and gingerbread trim. Many of these dwellings have landmark status and are listed on the National and New Jersey Registers of Historic Places. Outside of the villages exist a variety of homes including large scale farms, recent development homes, and mid-century houses.
Christie Hoffman Farm Park on Fairmount Road West is a 170-acre farm consisting of gently rolling hills, open fields, wetlands, and wood trails. The farm was acquired by the township with funding assistance from Green Acres. There are two soccer fields, miles of hiking and horse riding trails, and quiet areas for bird watching.
Cold Brook Preserve in Oldwick offers 287 acres for hiking, horseback riding, cross-country skiing, and mountain biking.
Whittemore Wildlife Nature Preserve is set on 180 acres of land donated by Mrs. Helen A. Whittemore. Nature-oriented programs have included maple sugaring, summer day camps, as well as a country fair. Located on Rockaway Road, there are a network of trails for hiking, walking, and horseback riding which traverse wooded areas, wetlands, ravines and hilly terrain. The Rockaway River flows along the property's southern border.
Oldwick Fields Park is a quick walk from the center of Oldwick. Within its 20 acres are three baseball and two soccer fields.
Somerset Hills Handicapped Riding Center is a North American Riding for the Handicapped Association Premier Accredited Center for therapeutic horseback riding.
Fun Fact #1: Built in 1749, Zion Lutheran Church is the oldest German Lutheran parish in New Jersey. Constructed in the Gothic/Greek Revival style, the church has been a focal point in Oldwick for over 250 years.
Fun Fact #2: A local landmark for generations, the Magic Shop in Oldwick features a whimsical array of toys, antiques, and boutique items, as well as the famous "Rabbit Hole." Founded after World War II, it initially assisted returning veterans. Since then, it has been a financial supporter of Bonnie Brae a residential treatment center for adolescent boys in Liberty Corner.
Size: 31.6 square miles
2000 Census Population: 5,541
Location: Hunterdon County
Distance from New York City: About 40 miles
Distance from Newark: About 30 miles
Distance from Philadelphia: About 70 miles
Parks: Cold Brook Preserve, Whittemore Wildlife Nature Preserve, Oldwick Fields Park, Fairmount North, Pottersville Reservoir Preserve, Christie Hoffman Farm Park, Pascale Farm Park, Hill and Dale Property, Tewksbury Township Trails.
Local Sites/Attractions: Zion Lutheran Church, historic villages, the Tewksbury Inn, the Magic Shop
Mass Transportation: New Jersey Transit offers connecting train service from nearby Whitehouse Station or Raritan to New York, Newark or Hoboken. New Jersey Transit buses depart from Whitehouse Station to Port Authority in Midtown Manhattan with several stops including Newark and Newark Liberty International Airport.
Housing: Antique farmhouses and Colonials, luxury real estate, Victorians, estate properties, equestrian farms, converted barns, modern, contemporary and a variety of other architectural styles.
Find a Turpin Real Estate agent in your area.
Our sole focus is helping people buy and sell real estate.