SectionsDelaware Township Biography
About Delaware Township
Delightfully rural Delaware Township measures just over 37 square miles in western Hunterdon County. Rolling fields, farmland and forests characterize the bucolic scenery in this peaceful part of the state which shares a border with the Delaware River. Neighboring towns include Lambertville, Raritan Township, East and West Amwell, Franklin Township and Kingwood Township. Incorporated in 1838, Delaware’s earliest settlers actually came to farm the land in the 1700s. Today, a population of about 4,500 residents are scatted throughout long-established communities named Sergeantsville, Croton, Locktown, Sand Brook, Raven Rock and Rosemont.
In addition to the Delaware River, the township’s southern borders include the Delaware and Raritan Canal. New Jersey’s last covered bridge is also located in Delaware Township; the circa 1872 landmark crosses over the Wickecheoke Creek, connecting Rosemont and Sergeantsville.
Bull’s Island State Park: Consisting of 79 acres, Bull’s Island Recreation Area is situated on Bull’s Island at Raven Rock along the Delaware River. It is a part of the 3,578-acre Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park and offers a boat launch, fishing and a nature trail. Visitors enjoy kayaking, tubing or canoeing along the river. The park entrance is located at 2185 Daniel Bray Highway.
Virginia Napurano Cultural Arts Center: The arts center hosts live music and art shows in a historic country church at 522 Rosemont-Ringoes Road in the Sergeantsville section of the township.
Green Sergeant’s Covered Bridge: Crossing over the Wickecheoke Creek—a tributary of the Delaware River--this westbound, one lane only, wood-covered bridge is the oldest covered bridge in the state of New Jersey. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the bridge was built in 1872. It was named in honor of Richard Green Sergeant, a farmer who operated the nearby Sergeant’s Mills and was known locally as Green Sergeant. In 1960 it was condemned as unsafe for heavy traffic and subsequently dismantled. Local residents protested the removal of the bridge, so it was rebuilt in 1961 using steel girders and reinforcements to strengthen the original lumber. This bridge is notable for being the last-standing historic bridge in the state; New Jersey once had approximately 75 covered bridges. It is located along Rosemont Ringoes Road.
Sergeantsville General Store: Established in 1847 at 601 Rosemont Ringoes Road, the store is located on the ground floor of charming three-story Victorian. Cyclists and local residents stop in for coffee, sandwiches, soup, and surprisingly, Chinese food.